Monday, April 14, 2008

Pet Peeves

The last few days I've been extremely irritable, for really no reason. I've been in a blog slump and haven't had much to post, therefore, you're getting a list of my pet peeves. Don't worry, if you do these things I'll still love you!

  1. People who chomp (or snap) their gum
  2. When I'm sitting in a movie or at church and the person behind me is kicking my chair
  3. People who don't know the difference between "merge" and "yield"
  4. Grocery carts with one bad wheel
  5. People telling me that relaxing or adoption is the key to getting pregnant
  6. Greasy salt & pepper shakers in a restaurant
  7. Drivers who take forever to leave a parking space when others are clearly waiting for it
  8. Being put on speaker phone
  9. People who read over my shoulder while I'm on public transportation
  10. People who don't understand sarcasm
  11. Jerks who take up two parking spaces
  12. Lousy customer service
  13. Hearing people talk on their cell phones in an elevator or closed spaces
  14. Co-workers who "borrow" my desk supplies and never return them
  15. People who butt in line and don't wait their turn
  16. People who are late (this really gets me. If you want to continue our friendship PLEASE be on time) :)
  17. Cell phones going off in church
  18. Text messaging/ blackberries in church
  19. Driving too slow in the fast lane
  20. Smokers who throw cigarette butts out the window
  21. Bad spelling & grammar
I'm sad to admit that this is only a glimpse of what annoys me. I'll add to the list as I'm driving home from work tonight and think about more. I'd love to hear some of your pet-peeves. And please don't be afraid to say that your number 1 pet-peeve is negative people. I can accept the truth. :)

15 comments:

Boutique Mix Fashion said...

LOL!!!! I love this list. I have to remember not to put callers on speaker phone. I'm a huge culprit....... but it could be worse.... much better than gum-chomping...

Melanie said...

Mer - you make me laugh. #8 is my biggest pet peeve - I HATE being put on speaker phone. A top second would be blackberries at the dinner tables (and I don't mean the fruit). My husband's blackberry is at serious risk of being hurled through the window the next time he pulls it out during dinner.

Gertge Family said...

Ha Ha Ha!
People Who are Late is my Number 1...That is horrible.
I am not the best at spelling, but it bugs me when it's clearly something you should have learned in 1st grade like: two, to & too. The Concept is not that Profound!!

My list would be way too long to post....but I love yours.

Sylvia said...

Meriannie, you are so funny! Pretty much all those things drive me crazy too. The only one I'd add is when people making $7.50/hr working at retail stores are snobs. It's the freaking GAP, people!

Julianne said...

This was a funny yet very familiar-sounding post, in that I share most of these with you. But #19 is the winner for me -- I can't STAND slow pokes in the fast lane! Just freaking get over! Also people who leave their blinkers on drive me nuts.

Ryan and Julianne said...

I went to two stores yesterday and in both of them got a cart with a stupid wheel. I remembered this post and smiled and decided I agreed whole-heartedly that stupid wheels on carts are a pet-peeve of mine, too.

Anonymous said...

Want to know what I was doing when I first opened this blog post? Chomping on a piece of gum I had in my mouth! hahaha!!!
And I agree aout the relaxing or adopt thing. bah!

Anonymous said...

LOL Mer, I read your blog all the time but today I had to comment. I have to agree with everything on your list! It bugs the CRAP out of me when people take forever to leave a parking space when they KNOW you are waiting! And of course, do I need to say how much i want to kill people who say "JUST RELAX and it will happen when it's supposed to!" I feel like saying SHUT UP BEFORE I RELAX YOU LADY! Wow, I guess i had more agreesion in me than I thought!

JJuracan and family said...

Mer..you sound like a REEVES!!! I love you even more now!!! I have to say AMEN to your entire list!

Conservative Futurist said...

You might as we have said, "20 things I hate about my husband!" :)

Eliza said...

I have to add "smokers, period." Or at least smoking in a public place. I really don't care about a smoker's rights if it infringes on my right to clean air! It takes all of my willpower not to ask them to put it out. I have three neighbors who smoke--above me, below me, and next door. I've even seen one smoking while walking down the stairs in our (enclosed) stairwell. Sick.

I can't believe people actually say that to you about relaxing or adoption.

I have issues with men leaving the toilet seat up, particularly when they are a guest in my house.

I know I have more pet peeves but can't think of them right now. Usually I think of them as they're happening. :)

I have a bad habit of blowing bubbles with gum. Usually I remember not to, but I caught myself once blowing a bubble while sitting in Relief Society. For this reason I usually chew half a piece, which also keeps me from chomping. I know it's a horrible habit. Maybe someday I will break it.

Greasy salt and pepper shakers...sick! I have not noticed that! But from now on I think I'm just going to use a napkin whenever touching them at all!

Anonymous said...

Awesome list! I'll be a little more careful when we're together now: )
I have a thing about public salt and pepper shakers too. There have been times when I’ve used a napkin to touch them. (This is only an occasional thing.)
Smoking is a huge annoyance when I have to breathe it.
Probably my biggest pet peeve is when people don't wash their hands after using the bathroom! Especially public ones. I've been tempted to approach people about it, but in the end I just look at them and tell them subconsciously.

Anonymous said...

I'm in 100% agreement with you on every one of those pet peeves.

camille said...

Wow, we are SO related! Especially #1. My family was just joking about how my mother had ruined us because we freak out about mouth noises!

I have to add another pet peeve though. I agree with you on the parking space issue, HOWEVER, I feel great amounts of stress when I'm trying to get 2 kids into car seats and a stroller into the back of the minivan (yes, I drive one) when I can see people waiting for my parking space. UGH! I want to yell, "You watched me walk up here with an obnoxiously huge stroller. Please don't stress me out by staring at how awkward I look and move to the next best parking space"! :)

Camille Kemp said...

I agree with alot. 1 item that I am not with you on is blackberries in church, I have my scriptures on mine so I always have it in church. I hate being put on speakerphone mostly because my own voice echoes back in my ear and I can't hear the other person. If I made a list it would never end, I am always irritable.